The SAAP (Society for the Advancement of American Philosophy) invites papers or proposals on the topic of American Philosophy for their annual meeting in 2020.
While all papers on American philosophy are welcome, some preferences will be given to papers or proposals on „Inter-American-Philosophy“.
Representative topics may include the following:
- Past, present and possible future philosophical connections between philosophers and philosophic traditions in different parts of the Americas,
especially with the Classical American philosophical traditions.
- North American and Latin American Philosophy: explorations of the mutual influence of philosophy done in the north and the south or fruitful comparisons of the
philosophical insights of prominent philosophers on both sides of the continent, including Latinx and indigenous thought.
- Examination and elaboration of the important contributions of philosophers in the Americas (e.g., Pragmatism, Mexican Existentialism) to past and present problems
in the Analytic and Continental traditions.
- Philosophers on the common ideals and common socio-political problems of the Americas. For example:
a) Democracy and decolonialism, its nature, prospects and challenges
in the Americas;
b) How philosophy can contribute to the amelioration of the common problems of North and South America.
- Philosophical ideas and debates about the identity of the Americas in relation to other nations, regions, and cultures.
- Philosophy of technology and science in the Americas, environmental practices and movements throughout the Americas, and Philosophy of Education (including philosophy for children) in and throughout the Americas.
You do not need to be a member of SAAP to submit a paper or proposal via the standard submission tool on the SAAP website. Scholars who are not presently members of the Society, but whose work is in American thought, are especially encouraged to submit.
For further information (funding for graduate students,o requirements for the papers and proposals) see the conference website.
Place: City of San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
Date: 5-7 March 2020
Deadline: 15 August 2019